Oct 26, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
In honor of the Monogram Club’s 100-year anniversary celebration we will be taking a look at each of the Club’s 67 former presidents with our Past President Profile.
Rev. Hugh O’Donnell
– The first Monogram Club president was football center J. Hugh O’Donnell, a 1916 Notre Dame graduate. Up until the 1940s, the Monogram Club president typically was a current student-athlete who usually held the position for one year.
– Father O’Donnell was born June 2, 1895 in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was ordained to the priesthood at Sacred Heart Seminary in Grand Rapids on December 28, 1921.
– In the spring of 1923 he was named rector of Badin Hall.
– He was president of St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas from 1931-34.
– Father O’Donnell served as vice president of Notre Dame from 1934-40 before becoming the University’s 13th president in 1940. He held that office until 1946.
– He passed away on June 12, 1947.