Dec 27, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Believe it or not, 2014 is approaching faster than the snow is falling in South Bend. The turning of the calendar is just a few days away, and in celebration of a terrific 2013, we are looking back at a year’s worth of Monogram Club events, accomplishments and great Notre Dame camaraderie. After July’s post on the Student Welfare & Development office and current student-athletes, “12 Months of Monogram” shifts to the young alumni for August…
On Friday before the season opener against Temple, the Monogram Club welcomed dues-paying football Monogram winners and their guests to the Schivarelli Football Players’ Lounge at Notre Dame Stadium for the traditional post-pep rally reception. The Monogram Club was also pleased to open the “Schiv Lounge” to dues-paying young alumni for the evening. More than 40 young alumni Monogram winners stopped by to grab a drink and a bite to eat, or hit the storied Play Like A Champion Today sign. We caught up with a number of young alums, including several who have since returned to Notre Dame to work in various offices around campus.
- Marta Stepien (’13, fencing) is an intern in the Student Welfare & Development office.
- John Whitty (’10, manager) enters his second season as the director of operations for the Irish softball team.
- Kasey O’Connor (’12, softball) joined the athletic department this summer, interning with Molly (Lennon) Anderson (’92, soccer) and adidas.
- Molly Campbell (’12, soccer) just began her second year interning alongside senior deputy director of athletics Missy Conboy (’82, basketball).
- While student-teaching at a nearby school, Brittany O’Donnell (’13, softball) will also serve as a volunteer assistant for her former team during the upcoming season.
- Former walk-on football student-athlete Bernard Akatu (’03) returned to Notre Dame in April as a human resources consultant.
- Though he never had a chance to play in the Compton Family Ice Arena, these days, Kevin Deeth (’10, hockey) spends a lot of time in the beautiful Irish hockey arena, where he works as the venue’s assistant programming and instruction manager.
- Santiago Montoya (’09, tennis), who works in the Investment Office, stopped by with fellow tennis alum Blas Moros (’13).
For more photos and tweets from the big weekend, check out the Temple edition of the Monogram Club Musings.