Nov 26, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
It feels like Temple was in town just yesterday, but believe it or not, this past weekend marked the final home game of the 2013 Notre Dame football season. For the second consecutive year, the BYU Cougars visited South Bend, and once again the Fighting Irish came through with a hard-fought victory. On Senior Day, it was junior Cam McDaniel who helped carry Notre Dame, leading the way with a career-high 117 rushing yards.
With gusting winds and temperatures in the 20s, it was the coldest home game since 1991 and first “snow game” since the famous meeting with Penn State in 1992 (Reggie knows a thing or two about that one…). But it’s probably safe to say that the cold doesn’t feel quite as cold when its accompanied by a nice Irish win, especially one that sends a group of senior student-athletes out happy in their final game in Notre Dame Stadium.
Without further delay, enjoy the last Monogram Club Musings of the season!
BYU Game Notes
- As is tradition on Senior Day, each of the seniors on the Irish football roster was introduced individually, having the opportunity to run out of the tunnel to greet parents and family members and hear their name announced to the sellout Notre Dame Stadium crowd. This year’s group featured 33 student-athletes, including 19 who have already earned at least one Monogram.
- Saturday was Senior Day for a number of other students involved with the Notre Dame football program as well. During timeouts throughout the first quarter, stadium public address announcer and 2007 honorary Monogram recipient Mike Collins (’67) introduced student trainers, managers and cheerleaders. Among them were senior football managers Dan Byrne, Scott Grimes and Quinn White, who received their letter jackets just a few weeks ago at the Monogram Club’s fall ceremony.
- During halftime, the Notre Dame Marching Band performed one of its most unique shows yet, reenacting Gus Dorais to Knute Rockne, 100 years after the duo’s famous forward pass. The video is certainly worth a watch, but for those with a shorter attention span, Yahoo Sports also converted it to GIF form.
- As always, 2010 honorary Monogram recipient Sgt. Tim McCarthy shared an important traffic safety message at the end of the third quarter: “Remember, never get grumpy or dopey, if the weather becomes snow white.” 2013 marked the 54th season on the mic for the Notre Dame Stadium fan favorite.
Sightings Around Campus
- A number of recent Notre Dame football alumni returned to cheer on former teammates, including Mike (’12) and Jake Golic (’13), Robby Toma (’13), John Goodman (’12) and Tyler Eifert (’13), all of whom experienced Senior Day last year.
- Former Irish lineman and current Cincinnati Bengal Trevor Robinson (’12) joined our own Reggie Brooks (’93) and 2013 honorary Monogram recipient Jack Nolan on the Official Notre Dame Post-Game Show.
Monogram Club Events
On Friday evening, more than 300 Monogram winners and their guests came to the Schivarelli Football Players’ Lounge, warming up with chili and potato soup, and checking out the locker room and tunnel. Once again, ND Sports Blogger Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) stopped by for #HelmetFriday, where guests had a chance to try on the famous gold helmet.
On Saturday, 500 Monogram winners and guests attended the pre-game reception in the Monogram Room for a bit indoor tailgating. Thanks to Monogram Club staff member Karen Demeter for selecting the delicious menu, which included pasta salad, hot dogs and mini burgers!
After the victory, Football team chaplain Rev. Mark Thesing, C.S.C. (’81, ’85, ’92) joined us to celebrate for our usual post-game Mass. Over 125 gathered to give thanks on the weekend of the Solemnity of Christ the King, the final Sunday before the start of the advent season!
Thanks to all of the Monogram Club members who joined us throughout the fall. With three special reunion weekends, the pre-game tunnels, president Haley Scott DeMaria (’95, swimming) presenting the flag before Navy, and our event in Fort Worth for the Shamrock Series, it was certainly a season filled with memorable Monogram moments. Have a great Thanksgiving, and be sure to stay tuned for future editions of the Monogram Club Musings!
Monogram Club on Twitter
Monogram Club on YouTube
Notre Dame Band Reenacts Dorais To Rockne
Length: 1:22 | March 6, 2014
Navy Football Luncheon - Haley Scott DeMaria ('95, swimming)
Length: 7:42 | March 6, 2014
1988 National Championship Team 25th Reunion
Length: 1:45 | March 6, 2014
ND Celebrity/Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Game
Length: 1:34 | March 6, 2014